Saturday, May 31, 2008

advice given...

a few days before the ceremony of graduation, i had the chance to sit down with one of my favorite professors...as always, this professor says things to me that no one else says...i share of my hopes - and he negates them with reality...we talked of the shift in my sincerely idealistic worldview to my present ability to contemplate the reality of what truly is...

it's hard to take the reality side of life...my hopes soar the majority of time and i have lofty dreams of the future...with this being said, my professor knows this and sat quietly for a few moments...without flinching he uttered these words: "lower your expectations...significantly"...

i did not understand this at the time, but even a week later i understand the power of his advice...it is like biting into a cupcake only to discover it is filled with maggots...not what you expected - and definitely distasteful...

life has plenty of cupcakes...even ones that are not filled with maggots...but i wonder if i should always expect the maggots? then when the lush cream filling unexpectedly melts in my mouth, i revel in the serendipitous moment?

who knows...after the advice was given, i chuckled and said: "well, that was the sweetest thing i have ever heard"...today, maybe even yesterday - i know he was right...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home