Wednesday, November 07, 2007

classics...

"You gettee in," he added, motioning to me with his tomahawk, and throwing the clothes to one side. He really did this in not only a civil but a really kind and charitable way. I stood looking at him a moment. For all his tatooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal. What's all this fuss I have been making about, though I to myself--- the man's a human being just as I am: he has just as much reason to fear me, as I have to be afraid of him. Better sleep with a sober cannibal than a drunken Christian.
H. Melville, Moby Dick

i don't know why i think this is so funny, but i have reread this paragraph at least six times- laughing outloud every time...

1 Comments:

At 2:46 PM, Blogger Tim said...

Luckily, in Pappan we get both.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home